Rutgers University- Newark (RU-N), an urban public research university and anchor institution, located in Newark, New Jersey, a city of promise is seeking a Laboratory Researcher IV. This position performs professional-level experiments and research in the Polack Laboratory, Center for Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience (CMBN), School of Arts and Sciences-Newark (SASN), Rutgers University-Newark (RU-N).
This position is responsible for and not limited to the following.
· Performs neuroscientific research and analysis in rodents trained on various behavioral tasks in accordance with established procedures;
· Performs functional imaging, electrophysiological and behavioral experiments, surgical procedures, and behavioral training;
· Ensures complex, highly specialized, state-of-the-art instrumentation and associated components are properly and safely operated and maintained;
· Maintains proficiency in all policies, practices, and regulations, and keeps records in accordance with certified laboratory practices and in accordance with all relevant policies and regulations, including, but not limited to, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Lab Animal Care (AALAC), and Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW);
· Maintains and keeps the workplace and laboratory organized in a clean and safe manner in accordance with established procedures;
· Completes work under direct supervision within established work parameters for the lab;
· Trains and leads students and technicians on laboratory processes, equipment, and other laboratory-related activities;
· Prepares technical documentation and reports;
· Performs work in a manner that furthers the mission of the Polack Laboratory, CMBN, SASN, and RU-N and contributes to strategic goals.
Position is grant funded, dependent on adequate external funding.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Requires a bachelor's degree in a biological science, psychology, or neuroscience.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must have a sound understanding of animal surgery, animal behavioral training and laboratory practices.
Experience with statistical software.
Good communication skills, problem solving skills, and computer literacy are required.
Must participate in required occupational health and safety programs, criminal background check, and protection of minors training and certification.
Regular workweek may include evening and/or weekend work.
A degree in neuroscience or a comparable area of study is highly desirable.
Operates complex, state-of-the-art instrumentation, including, but not limited to, two-photon microscope (Neurolabware and MOM Sutter), National Instruments data acquisition cards, Isoflurane vaporizer, Nanoject III, pH meters, laboratory scales. Must be able to utilize associated data processing and analysis scripted in Matlab, or Python. Must be familiar with or learn all the office equipment, laboratory equipment, software, and specialized programs and/or materials needed to support the effective and efficient performance of this position, including, but not limited to, Effort Certification and Reporting (ECRT), RAPSS, and Cornerstone.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state's preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Rutgers is dedicated to teaching that meets the highest standards of excellence; to conducting research that breaks new ground; and to turning knowledge into solutions for local, national, and global communities. As it was at our founding in 1766, the heart of our mission is preparing students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. Rutgers teaches across the full educational spectrum: preschool to precollege; undergraduate to graduate and postdoctoral; and continuing education for professional and personal advancement. Rutgers is New Jersey's land-grant institution and one of the nation's foremost research universities, and as such, we educate, make discoveries, serve as an engine of economic growth, and generate ideas for improving people's lives.