Working with faculty and clinical scheduling supervisor, will be responsible for all aspects of surgical and procedural coordinating. Schedules patients into earliest most convenient time slot while considering factors such as procedure and operating room time and availability of operating room personnel and equipment. Primarily schedules surgeries and procedures for the East Baltimore and Bayview locations.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
• Provides primary surgical and procedural scheduling coordination.
• Works with the staff to develop, implement and manage systems to ensure all required components are completed for surgical patients, i.e., consents, history and physical, orders, etc.
• Updates insurance information for each surgery and procedure scheduled.
• Coordinates scheduling of resident/fellow surgeries with appropriate faculty.
• Compliance of divisional scheduling templates and instructional training for new staff.
• Creates HAR (Hospital Account Record) for every procedure scheduled in an ASC and hospital setting.
• Reviews with patients all surgery instructions and necessary forms for completion.
• Reviews with patients all insurance requirements before surgery and works with the patient and billing office to ensure all proper financial arrangements have been made before surgery.
• For international patients, works with the International Office to ensure financial clearance and scheduling.
• Discusses general and pre-operative information with patients, family members, insurance companies and JHMI staff; mails surgical correspondence to patients.
• Educates patients on what to expect before, during, and after their surgery. Ensures that all patient questions have been answered by the appropriate staff.
• Coordinates details for surgery and procedures, including scheduling COVID tests, pre-ops and immediate post-op appointments and arrival time for surgery and follows up on post-op appointments to ensure continuity of postoperative care.
• Schedules surgery and procedures in EPIC.
• Coordinates surgery scheduling with other departments and/or medical office/administrative staff as necessary (combo cases).
• Uses ICD and CPT coding for surgical and procedural authorization.
• Works with financial clearance and production unit staff to assist patients in financial need.
• Reviews schedules 2 weeks in advance for errors.
• Relays employee concerns to Surgical Scheduling Supervisor.
• Attends Surgical Scheduling meetings.
• Identifies open surgery time for other providers.
• Assists in locating missing paperwork for surgeries.
• Assists in creating surgical scheduling protocol.
• Provides coverage for Surgical Scheduling Supervisor as needed.
• Performs general office duties include assisting with telephone calls, clinic appointment scheduling, scanning documents, and filing patient correspondence.
• Performs other duties as required and assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Required)
High school diploma/GED required.
Three (3) years progressively responsible medical office experience, including procedure scheduling and/or patient management.
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. *
Experience in the Johns Hopkins system strongly preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Must have knowledge of information systems such as EPIC, ORMIS, ORCIS and SMS.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of medical terminology.
• Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
• Ability to work in a dynamic fast-paced environment and respond quickly to changing priorities.
• Proven ability to multi-task, prioritize projects and adhere to deadlines.
• PC related software, printers, copiers and scanners.
Classified Title: Clinical Scheduling Coordinator Working Title: CO Surgical Scheduling Coordinator Role/Level/Range: ATO 40/E/02/OE Starting Hourly Pay Rate Range: $17.42 - $23.95 /Commensurate with Experience Employee group: Full Time Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30a to 5pm / 40 hrs per week Exempt Status: Non-Exempt Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus Department name: 10003026-SOM Oto General Administration Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
Johns Hopkins University remains committed to its founding principle, that education for all students should be grounded in exploration and discovery. Hopkins students are challenged not just to learn but also to advance learning itself. Critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, and entrepreneurship are all encouraged and nourished in this unique educational environment. After more than 130 years, Johns Hopkins remains a world leader in both teaching and research. Faculty members and their research colleagues at the university's Applied Physics Laboratory have each year since 1979 won Johns Hopkins more federal research and development funding than any other university. The university has nine academic divisions and campuses throughout the Baltimore-Washington area. The Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, the Whiting School of Engineering, the School of Education and the Carey Business School are based at the Homewood campus in northern Baltimore. The schools of Medicine, Public Health, and Nursing share a campus in east Baltimore with The Johns Hopkins Hospital. The Peabody Institute, a leading professional school of music, is located on Mount Vernon Place in downtown Bal...timore. The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies is located in Washington's Dupont Circle area.