A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Description: The Research Area Specialist Intermediate will be involved with all aspects of animal research involving drug discovery, which over time may include, but are not limited to:
• Handling rats and mice, both immune competent and immune deficient.
• Preparing animals for various types of surgical and non-surgical procedure.
• Preparation and administration of therapeutic drugs via various routes (subcutaneous, IP, IV, oral gavage)
• End-of-study necropsies, harvest, and proper handling and storage of valuable study samples.
• Culture of animal and human derived cancer cell lines.
• Injection or implanting of cancer cell or tissue xenografts through various routes (subcutaneous, IP, IV, orthotopic).
• Monitoring tumor growth manually by calipers or via bioluminescent imaging.
• Maintaining required training, knowledge and compliance of IACUC and EHS rules and regulations
• Keeping an organized record of measurements and observations.
• Entering data into a spreadsheet, analyzing and presenting results using computer graphing, statistical and presentation programs.
• Communicating with PI, chemists, and biologists to optimize resources and results.
The candidate must be flexible, have experience working as a team member, be able to operate independently and have good communication skills.
Bachelor Degree in biological science or a related field with a minimum of 10-year laboratory research experience or a Master degree in in biological science or a related field with a minimum of 5-year laboratory research experience. • Ability to function independently as well as part of the team. • Must be able to follow IACUC guidelines to identify clinical symptoms of end-stage illness in rats and mice. • Must be able to perform in an environment with exposure to animals, animal dander, animal byproducts, and bedding materials for prolonged periods of time. • Must be able to wear protective equipment (mask, bonnet, gown, etc.) to work with immune deficient animals for prolonged periods of time. • Must be able to work with Hazardous Substances in compliance with EHS Guidelines
Research experience on testing novel anticancer drugs in animal models of human cancer highly desirable. Extensive experience in the care, handling, and treatment of laboratory animals
Excellent knowledge of the methods, materials, and equipment used in animal care and laboratory activities.
Experience in molecular biology such as cloning, RT-PCR, quantitative PCR and Western blot is a plus.
Flexibility to work on evenings/nights/weekends during active study periods.
Experience with scientific writing.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Internal Number: 190160
About University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
A great university is made so by its faculty and staff, and Michigan is recognized as one of the best universities to work for in the country. The Michigan culture is known for engaging faculty and staff in all facets of the university to create a workplace that is vibrant and stimulating.For two consecutive years, the Chronicle of Higher Education has placed U-M in its "Great Colleges to Work For" survey. In particular, the university earns high marks for strong relations between faculty and administrators, a collaborative system of governance, strong pay and benefits, and a healthy work/life balance.