The General Manager is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the GSWA Board. The ideal candidate will possess a management style that emphasizes participation, communication, collaboration, and team development. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to manage day-to-day operations, to prepare and administer a budget and accomplish needed priorities within established budget constraints. The General Manager will consistently look for ways to increase operational efficiencies, keep abreast of industry innovations, and advance cost-efficient post-consumer diversion. The General Manager must be an effective communicator with all stakeholders, and have proven ability to both establish and clearly communicate the short and long term goals of GSWA.
The General Manager shall have full charge and control of the construction, maintenance and day-to-day management of the works of GSWA operations. Additionally, applicants should demonstrate the knowledge, skills and abilities relative to the duties of the General Manager which include the following:
1) To see that all rules and regulations of the Authority are enforced;
2) To attend all meetings of the Board and submit a general report of the affairs of the Authority;
3) To keep the Board advised as to the needs of the Authority and to approve demands for payment of obligations of the Authority within the purposes and amounts authorized by the Board;
4) To prepare or cause to be prepared all plans and specifications for the construction of the works of the Authority;
5) To devote his/her entire time to the business of the Authority; to select and appointment the employees of the Authority, and to plan, organize, coordinate and control the services of such employees in the exercise of the powers of the Authority under the general direction of the Board;
6) To cause to be published within ninety (90) days from the end of each fiscal year a financial report showing the result of operations for the preceding fiscal year and the financial status of the Authority on the last day thereof in the manner provided by the Board; and
7) To perform such other and additional duties as the Board may require.
The General Manager shall, at a minimum, possess the following qualifications:
combined minimum of six (6) years of documented experience successfully managing a solid waste management system of similar size as the GSWA system; and
graduation from an accredited institution of higher education with a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Engineering Management, Engineering Technology or Civil Engineering.
Additional Salary Information: Salary is negotiable starting at $125,000.00 and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Internal Number: GSWA020-002
About Guam Solid Waste Authority
GSWA is an autonomous Public Corporation governed by the GSWA Board and subject to the regulations of the Guam Public Utilities Commission (GPUC). The GSWA is an appointed Board and consists of five (5) members. The GSWA is a component of the Government of Guam and currently comprised of approximately 57 employees who perform various work activities. GSWA performs weekly residential trash collection in an open market and has approximately 19,000 such customers a week. It also performs single stream recycling residential collection every other week. Both the trash and recycling are a cart based collection system using rear loading collection vehicles, running ten-hour shifts Monday through Thursday.
GSWA also collects bulky material from customers who make appointments with GSWA. Collections are scheduled Monday through Thursday.
GSWA operates three residential transfer stations or convenience centers where residents of Guam can drop off, for a fee, household trash and bulky material and, for no fee, recycling (mixed paper, OCC, plastics 1 & 2, and aluminum and bimetal cans). These facilities are operated Thursday through Monday from 9 am to 5 pm.
GSWA also has three contra...cted partners it works closely with. One partner owns, manages, and operates the Hauler Only Transfer Station. This facility consolidates the vast majority of GSWA’s annual tonnage of approximately 94,000 tons. Commercial haulers and other accounts unload the material onto a tip floor and then consolidate the trash into a tractor trailer before hauling it to GSWA’s Layon Landfill.
A second contracted partner manages and operates the new Layon Landfill. This is a Subtitle D landfill that was recently constructed using a double liner system. It opened in September 2011 and has a life expectancy of approximately 50 years using a total of ten cells on its 127 acre facility. The Layon Landfill is open Monday through Saturday.
At both the Hauler Only Transfer Station and the Layon Landfill, GSWA operates the scale houses and handles all billing of its customers.
On January 23, 2015, GSWA opened a new Household Hazardous Waste Facility (HHWF). The management and operations of the HHWF is contracted out to a private company. This operation is open from Thursday through Monday each week of the year.
GSWA also contracts out the maintenance for its fleet consisting of 11 rear packers, 4 roll off trucks, and numerous smaller collection and other vehicles to a private concern.