About Northeastern: Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and a world leader in experiential learning. The same commitment to connecting with the world drives our use-inspired research enterprise. The university offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Our campuses in Charlotte, N.C., San Francisco, Seattle, and Toronto are regional platforms for undergraduate and graduate learning and collaborative research. Northeastern pursues advanced research in security and materials at the Innovation Campus in Burlington, Massachusetts, and in coastal sustainability at the Marine Science Center in Nahant, Massachusetts.
About the Opportunity: The responsibilities of the Laboratory Operations and Safety Manager in the Department of Bioengineering, College of engineering, will include:
1. Space Planning - Strategically design, facilitate and oversee development, renovation and operations for the Bioengineering research and teaching labs and capstone design project makers' lab (currently 20 lab spaces and continuously growing). Work closely with all college and facilities personnel, BioE department chair, business manager and ISEC Director of Operations on lab space in ISEC (2nd and 3rd floors, basement) and 3 other buildings across Northeastern campus.
2. Lab Purchasing - Advise faculty and staff on all purchasing related to BioE research and teaching labs. Given specifications, research vendors, obtain multiple quotes when required, and negotiate discounts with vendors. Coordinate visits by vendors if appropriate. Manage the placing of orders with BioE staff. Track orders and arrange delivery to lab. Manage the process related to lab facilities requests, such as transportation, and logistics with large and biohazard materials. Coordinate facilities, transportation, and logistics when equipment is moved from one lab to another, or when major equipment is installed or removed.
3. Capstone - Supervise and train teaching assistants, faculty and students on Capstone design project makers' space and teaching/wet lab. Coordinate annual testing and certifications of biosafety cabinets (BSC). Continue to review proposed projects with faculty and advice students on safety of project specifications. Advice teams on IRB (Institutional Review Board), IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee) and IBC (Institutional Biosafety Committee) requirements.
4. Manage - Supervise Lab Technician. The Lab Ops & Safety Manager will supervise the lab technician and make sure this employee is meeting their goals and work responsibilities. This person will ensure this employee is being professionally developed and support the career of this employee.
5. Act as a liaison with the ISEC Director of Operations regarding the maintenance of safety equipment such as temperature-controlled chambers, ice makers, and autoclaves. Maintain BioE capital equipment inventory. Develop and maintain electronic copies of department facilities.
6. Serve as the Departmental Safety Officer for Bioengineering for all research labs. This responsibility includes (a) serve as the principal liaison with the ISEC Director of Operations; COE Assistant Director of Academic Operations; COE Assistant Director of Lab Operations; and the Office of Environmental Health and Safety to ensure that all lab personnel are properly trained before laboratory access is granted and that their training is kept current. (b) Send reminders to faculty, students, and other researchers when refresher training is required to ensure that BioE labs are compliant with university and regulatory safety policy at all times. (c) Arrange for access (card authorization, keys, combinations, etc.) to the appropriate labs. (d) Maintain records of who has access to each lab and remove access to lab personnel who have graduated or left university or whose safety training has lapsed. (e) Ensure that assigned BioE labs are compliant with university safety policy at all times.
The Laboratory Operations and Safety Manager will report to the Business Manager of the Bioengineering department.
Qualifications: Masters degree or equivalent in bioengineering, biomedical engineering or related field. At least 2 years of experience working in academic laboratory operations in a shared laboratory setting are required.
Strong written and verbal communication skills are required together with strong computer skills including Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook), Adobe Acrobat DC or Pro. Strong proficiency with Excel required. Ability and willingness to learn new systems independently required.
Ability to work well independently as well as within a team environment. Strong organizational skills and a problem-solving mindset are required. The candidate will naturally be proactive with the ability to take initiative and ownership of responsibilities. Ability to work and service labs, PI's, and students across multiple buildings at the Boston campus.
Salary Grade: 11
Additional Information: Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.