Job Title: Water/Wastewater Plant & Engineering Supervisor
Reports To: Water/Wastewater & Engineering Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Wage Scale Designation:
General Statement of Duties
Under the supervision of the Water/Wastewater & Engineer Manager, oversees and directs the Engineering Department and the water and wastewater treatment facilities operations. Perform engineering analysis, design, and construction management for utility projects. Monitor the operation of the water and wastewater treatment facilities. Assist with efforts to ensure BMU compliance with local, State and Federal regulations. Provides administrative support and assistance to the Water/Wastewater & Engineering Manager. Support the mission statement of Brookings Municipal Utilities.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs engineering personnel in the analysis, design, and construction management for utility project, including but not limited to survey work, drafting, and design work.
- Plans, supervises and directs activities of workers engaged in the operation and maintenance of the water and wastewater plants which includes safety programs.
- Direct the operations and maintenance requirements of the water/wastewater plants and
- Reviews, evaluates and maintains records of plant operations. This includes State and Federal reporting and pretreatment program oversight.
- Assist in the development of long term and short term financial forecasts for all water and wastewater operations.
- Analyze, plan, design and document utility systems including water & wastewater distribution and collection systems.
- Coordinate utility projects with those of other BMU and City departments, as well as the City Engineer.
- Prepare specification for equipment and materials purchases and various construction projects.
- Perform inspections and monitor construction projects for compliance with plans, specifications, and regulations; report progress as necessary to BMU Management.
- Interact with developers to ensure for the proper planning, design and assessment of utility fees associated with utility improvements included in developed areas.
- Prepare and perform studies and analysis as directed.
- Purchases materials and equipment to maintain inventory.
- Recommends personnel activities such as hiring, training, performance reviews and promoting.
- Establishes work procedures, schedules and monitors the same.
- Assess training needs and recommend company sponsored training opportunities.
- Responsible for maintaining effective communication and relations with customers while representing Brookings Municipal Utilities in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Safely operates assigned company vehicle and ensures that it is maintained according to company specifications.
- Performs duties in a manner consistent with safe practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering preferred, or an applicable combination of education and experience in the engineering and/or water and wastewater treatment fields.
- A minimum of (3) three year of progressive experience in related fields.
- Possess or have the ability to learn engineering theory, practices and principals specific to the water and waste water industry.
- Must possess or have the ability to develop a comprehensive knowledge of mechanical or civil engineering principles.
- Knowledge of or demonstrated ability to learn Federal, State and Local Law, regulations and policies.
- Ability to understand and analyze utility operating systems and perform related analytical functions to make recommendations.
- Possess a working knowledge of various computer programs.
- Ability to supervise and direct personnel, plan and organize work and to analyze and solve problem situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, officials and the general public.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple to complex instructions, short correspondence, and memos presented either written or orally.
- Ability to effectively assemble, organize and present in oral or written form, statistical, financial and factual information.
Certification, Testing and Examination
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
- Other such testing as deemed necessary by Brookings Municipal Utilities / Swiftel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; sit; speak; hear; use hands to feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Required to actively listen and communicate with supervisor, peers and customers.
- Occasionally required to bend, kneel, crawl and stoop.
- Occasionally required to climb or balance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, distant vision and peripheral vision.
- Rarely lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, rarely lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and rarely lift and/or move over 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high work places; and extreme cold.
- Position involves occasional exposure to contaminants (such as pollutants, gases, dust or odors).
- Position involves regular contact with other employees and members of the public.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually mild to moderate.
Typical Performance Requirements
The performance standards described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee performing the essential functions of this position. These are largely based on industry standards for the position.
- Employee is expected to meet performance standards communicated by the supervisor.
- Employee is required to adhere to the guidelines presented in the Personnel Policy Manual, Part-time Employee Handbook or Seasonal Employee Handbook.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign the duties and responsibilities of this job at any time.