Environmental Scientist/Industrial Hygienist II-Job Description
The Environmental Scientist II Performs professional environmental consulting services for a wide range of industrial, maritime and commercial clients. The work requires a professional knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques of environmental science, industrial hygiene and occupational safety. An understanding and the ability to utilize pertinent aspects of chemistry, biological sciences and public health that pertain to environmental remediation projects involving lead, asbestos, mold. The ability to recognize and evaluate health hazards associated with catastrophic loss to property caused by storms and flooding and the environmental, health and safety impacts related to chemical releases and oil spills.
- Apply professional environmental science competence with specialized knowledge of chemistry, industrial hygiene and biological science. Perform as a team member to resolve client EH&S concerns as necessary and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Willing and able to travel by air, sea and land at short notice to reach project locations.
- Obtain and maintain licenses in multiple states for mold, lead and asbestos assessments.
- Performs work as a team member under the direction of a Project Manager.
- Performs work on any number of projects at various stages of completion.
- Prepares studies and reports following standard format and procedures.
- Investigate, measure and evaluate environmental, health and safety conditions at client locations and carrying out relevant research, development, planning to complete comprehensive reports for review by senior staff.
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Competent in Microsoft office products such as Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Disciplined and organized with effective Time Management ability.
- Teamwork Oriented
- Problem Solving/Analysis skills
- Builds and Maintains a Highly Ethical Reputation
- Outstanding Customer Relationship Skills
This position may supervise environmental technicians and ES I level staff depending on the size and duration of the project.
- Wet or humid conditions will be encountered with high temperatures in deep south summers.
- Able to work in elevated areas with fall protection equipment.
- Noisy environments are possible with the need for hearing protection.
- High levels of personal protective equipment will be required at various times. A full physical examination will be performed by an occupational physician to ensure that you can wear the following items; Negative pressure air purifying respirators and impermeable protective suits.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Sitting limited to lunch, breaks and driving.
- Majority of duties performed on feet.
- Walking, may be back and forth all day long over terrains that range from flat to hilly, rough and slippery.
- Able to carry equipment as much as 50lbs unassisted.
- Must be able to use hand and fingers to pick up objects, turn on regulators, insert earplugs, use hand tools.
- Push or pull items.
- Able to reach above head.
- Able to bend at the knee.
- Able to climb ladders to reach high areas or down into tanks or excavations.
- Able to wear a self- contained breathing apparatus.
- Able to squat kneel or crouch in confined spaces when necessary.
- Must be able to hear warning signals from vehicles, radio transmissions, alarm bells, air leaks etc.
- Able to taste and smell to detect warning properties of hazardous chemicals.
- Able to detect burning sensations on skin etc.
- Vision must be correctable to at least 20:40 with ability to distinguish colors with good depth perception and peripheral vision.
This is a full-time position salaried position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. This position regularly requires rapid response out of normal business hours, travel out of town as needed and weekend work.
Travel is primarily local during the business day. Rapid response to client emergencies and overnight travel may be expected.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelors/Master's degree in Science/Geology/Engineering with five (5) to eight (8) years EH&S experience.
- Valid Driver’s License
- TWIC card eligible
- 40 Hr. HAZWOPER and 8 Hour Refresher Certificate
J.S. Held LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, J.S. Held LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
J.S. Held LLC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of J.S. Held LLC employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST/INDUSTRIAL HYGIENIST II
Overall: Participates in multiple project teams for J.S. Held LLC work projects, providing Environmental, Health and Safety expertise, working as part of a team of experienced professionals. Reports to Project Managers and receives technical direction and support from the J.S. Held’s Environmental and Health division.
Performs work product efficiently
· Learns and applies J.S. Held processes and procedures.
· Demonstrates an excellent understanding of J.S. Held’s service lines, processes and templates by attending the firms Boot Camp.
· Develops proficiency with field equipment used in EH&S field work.
· Obtains EH&S Licenses and Certifications needed to perform work in multiple States.
· Performs project field work and produces project-related deliverables.
· Understands components of building systems, along with the means and methods of construction for residential and commercial buildings and processes.
· Demonstrates core capabilities in a variety of software programs utilized to write reports and collate data.
· Uses J.S. Held templates and processes, including reviewing and auditing for completeness and accuracy of work product.
· Seeks peer review in the delivery of work product to clients.
· Demonstrates knowledge and capability in managing information in the cloud or other storage medium according to J.S. Held policies and procedures.
· Demonstrates excellent time management skills, recognizing time as a valuable resource. Manages multiple priorities while concentrating the efforts of project teams on achieving the most important priorities.
· Solves problems and follows through when faced with challenges. Identifies when a change in approach or goals is required and adjusts project activities as needed.
Embraces J.S. Held brand and core values
· Knows and practices the J.S. Held core values and reinforces the J.S. Held brand.
· Continuously learns the importance of J.S. Held core values through observation, discussion with project team members and learning programs.
Develops client relationships
· Identifies opportunities to build future work from existing projects.
· Develops a following from clients that generates new work assignments.
· Actively develops potential new clients within their geographic region.
· Builds long-term client relationships by understanding and responding to client issues and requirements.
Demonstrates industry expertise
· Works toward industry certifications recognized as benchmark standards in the performance of all aspects of EH&S consulting.
· Minimum education level, i.e. BS/MS in Science/Geology/Engineering with five (5) years EH&S consulting experience.
· Maintains expertise through continuous learning opportunities.
· Demonstrates knowledge of building systems and means/methods for all building types typically encountered in J.S. Held assignments.
· Researches and understands construction systems that are unfamiliar and competently evaluates those systems.
· Actively develops industry contacts in order to leverage their expertise as needed.
· Seeks opportunities to update industry knowledge as a continuous learner.
Demonstrates excellent communication skills
· Effectively communicates with clients.
· Copies or informs project managers on all relevant communications.
· Proactively communicates with other team members. Asks questions to ensure clarity and accuracy of message.
· Actively seeks advice from other team members in order to develop problem solving skills and experience.
· Demonstrates effective writing and presentation skills.
Ensures quality of work product in the region
· Adheres to J.S. Held quality control processes.
Supports firm-wide initiatives
· Joins a company committee.
Positions J.S. Held as Industry Leading Subject Matter Experts
· Demonstrates commitment to professional development.
· Attends at least 10 J.S. Held Lunch & Learn programs.