Closing Date/Time: Open Until Filled Starting Salary: $35.53 + Excellent Benefits Regular Full-Time, FLSA Non-Exempt Position Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 6 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Work Location: South Operations Facility ' The Seattle Housing Authority, a nationally recognized leader in providing innovative, affordable housing communities, is accepting applications for a Solid Waste Vehicle Mechanic. The successful candidate will work independently under general supervision to maintain a solid waste a fleet including seven refuse trucks, one roll off truck and various smaller vehicles and equipment.
Under the supervision of the Fleet Vehicle Supervisor, inspect, diagnose, repair and perform maintenance work on vehicles and equipment. Complete routine repairs and perform preventative maintenance independently, with existing guidelines, such as standard operating procedures, technical manuals and blueprints.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: E = Essential Functions:
1. Inspects, diagnoses and repairs mechanical, electrical and hydraulic defects in gasoline, electric and diesel-powered equipment such as automobiles, backhoes, tractors, packers, trucks, generator sets and other motorized mechanical equipment. E
2. Inspects, diagnoses and repairs all types of gasoline and diesel engines, light and heavy duty transmissions, rear end assemblies, hydraulic and electric units and brake systems. E
3. Repairs pumps, lights, steering gears and generators. Aligns wheels, adjusts brakes and performs other mechanical or electrical adjustments. E
4. Road tests and inspects all types of vehicles to ensure compliance with safety standards and effectiveness of repairs. Operates forklift, backhoe, and other equipment. E
5. Utilizes computer diagnostic equipment to determine repairs and maintenance required. E
6. Develops ,implements, and performs preventive maintenance programs on vehicles and equipment. E
7. Responsible for requisitioning supplies and maintaining sufficient inventory to perform all aspects of work efficiently. E
8. Performs minor metal fabrication services including bending, cutting, riveting, etc. E
9. Operates a two-way radio and cellular phone to communicate and receive instructions from a supervisor or dispatcher. E
10. Maintains records of orders, completed repairs, time worked and materials used . E
11. Participate in the development and implementation of goals, work plans, performance measures, and continuous improvement of service delivery to assist in attaining the unit/program/department initiatives and goals, agency core strategies, and mission through a spirit of service, teamwork and respect. Work well with other employees, follow direction, and work well under pressure. E
12. Attend all required training and safety meetings; use, maintain and replace assigned personal protective equipment; report all injuries and illnesses to supervisor immediately; complete and submit incident/ accident reports as required; report hazardous conditions or unsafe work practices to supervisor; and follow all safety and health guidelines, practices, policies and procedures, and actively support and participate in the Emergency Preparedness program and tasks. E
13. Performs related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
Requires a minimum of four years working as a journey-level automotive mechanic (or a combination of education and/or training and/or experience which provides an equivalent background required to perform the work of the class).
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
· Tools and equipment of trade; ability to operate all SHA vehicles and gas/diesel powered equipment.
· Must possess a valid Washington State Driver's License with CDL A or B endorsement with a driving record acceptable to the Authority's Risk Manager.
· Union membership required within 30 days of appointment to the position
· Must obtain Washington State First Aid Certificate within six months of starting this position, and must maintain certification.
· Forklift safety and flagging certificate within six months.
FLSA Non-Exempt position covered by Trades Council. Union membership arrangements must be made within 30 days of employment.
COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
1. Experience and training as a journeyman diesel mechanic in a heavy duty repair shop, handling all varieties of vehicle and equipment repairs.
2. Solid waste and recycling industry practices.
3. Occupational hazards and safety standards and practices applicable to work being done.
1. Accurately follow verbal and written instructions
2. Use a wide variety of manual and power equipment and tools used in performance of labor duties.
3. Establish and maintain effective, respectful and cooperative working relationships with other employees, customers and the public.
· Automotive shop and on site repairs.
· Outdoor work in all types of weather.
· Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone.
· Seeing to read a variety of materials.
· Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate equipment.
· Required to stand, walk or bend for extended periods of time.
· Required to frequently lift objects weighing between 5 - 80 pounds.
The Seattle Housing Authority, is a nationally recognized leader in providing innovative, affordable housing communities. SHA provides long-term, low income rental housing and rental assistance to approximately 34,000 people, representing more than 17,000 households, in the city of Seattle. SHA owns and operates more than 8,000 apartments and single-family homes at nearly 400 sites throughout the... city.
SHA has it’s own Solid Waste Division with a fleet of seven refuse trucks that provide services to over 7,600 addresses in the Seattle area.